Gilmore Girls litmus test: Did you make the same mistakes at 22 AND 32?



Most of the internet probably has gotten over the highly anticipated Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. I know I binge-watched all four episodes over the long Thanksgiving weekend last year, but whenever I see a Gilmore Girls reference pop up on social media, I remember a major disappointment.

Is THIS really how Rory was meant to turn out?

Was a girl with her education, experience, family support and ambition supposed to be the undeniable side-chick for her bad-boy college boyfriend --- ten years after he proposed and then dumped her? (I don't count the "boyfriend" Paul as a boyfriend. At this age, if you can't find time to see each other or to dump each other, you're just immature. You're not actually in a relationship.)

I can't be too harsh about Rory's stagnant career, although I agree with Megan Garber's assessment in The Atlantic that she is not a strong journalist by journalists' standards. Undoubtedly, the industry has contracted in the past decade in REAL life, so to remain a raging success in a metropolitan market, Rory likely would have had to execute several pivots, which it doesn't appear that she's had much luck doing.

Many professionals in her situation probably would have: 1) gone into marketing or public relations OR 2) started a blog, monetized it and hoped for the best. (Nod to great blookers, such as Jenny Lawson and Jen Lancaster) I know at the end she embraces the idea of writing a memoir, but has she really LIVED enough for it not to deteriorate into simply telling her mother's story -- or, worse yet, intense navel-gazing?

But Logan. Gag. (I was always #TeamJess)

Logan appears to be following his father's relationship example, and Rory is along for the frustrating, lonely ride instead of searching for a mate who actually wants to be with her, strengthening her career and  -- this is what bothers me the most -- evolving. Betsy Morais, in The New Yorker, ponders whether motherhood will force a girl to grow up, but I think this reboot poses another question:

Do most of us really repeat the mistakes 

we made at 22 when we're 32?


What do you think? (Don't be afraid to comment below. Help my little blog grow :)


Comments

Popular Posts